ARTICLE AD BOX
17 minutes ago
Anbarasan EthirajanGlobal Affairs Correspondent

Reuters
A team of specialist Finnish divers were able to retrieve the two bodies on Tuesday
The bodies of two Italians who drowned in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives last week have been brought to the surface, local officials have told the BBC.
"They were retrieved from the third chamber of the underwater cave by the specialist divers from Finland after a two-hour operation," Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC.
The two bodies were being brought to the capital Male for identification.
They were among five people who died in the accident. Two bodies remain inside.
The first body of an Italian diver, who was a member of the group, was recovered shortly after Thursday's accident near Vaavu atoll. He has been named by Italian media as boat operations manager and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.
Then on Saturday a Maldivian rescue diver died during a search for the bodies.
The four missing divers were eventually found by Finnish divers on Monday in the chamber of the cave furthest from the entrance. Known locally as "shark cave", it is up to 60m 197 ft) deep.
The mission to recover the remaining two bodies will resume on Wednesday and a Maldivian official was hopeful they would be retrieved the same day.
Finding the bodies will provide clues as to the cause of the accident. The recovery operation has been described as complex because of the depth of the cave and the lack of space and visibility. The entrance to the cave lies at a depth of 47m but the various chambers are at varyin depths.
The weather at the time of the dive on Thursday was described as rough and a yellow warning had been issued for passenger boats and fishermen.
Four of the divers were part of a team from the University of Genoa, which told the BBC that it did not give approval for any kind of deep-sea dive as part of their scientific research.
"The requests submitted to the Maldivian authorities...were evidently made outside the scope of the mission authorised by the University," a spokesperson said.
A Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC that the team had a permit to dive to a depth of 50m but had not mentioned the cave in their proposal.

1 hour ago
9








English (US) ·