'Historic day' as Netball Australia pay dispute ends

2 years ago 73
ARTICLE AD BOX
Australia celebrate winning World Cup in South AfricaAustralia beat England in the World Cup final in South Africa in August to win a record-extending 12th world title

A pay deal signed by Netball Australia and domestic league players marks a "historic day", says former Diamonds captain Kathryn Harby-Williams.

Players in Australia's Super Netball League had not been paid since their last contract expired in September.

But a new three-year-deal brings the lengthy pay dispute to an end.

Harby-Williams, chief executive of the Australian Netball Players' Association (Anpa), said it is a "stepping stone to greater things in the sport".

The deal, which includes an 11% pay rise and a greater share of competition revenue for players, comes after NA chief executive Kelly Ryan resigned from the governing body on Tuesday.

The average salary in the league will rise to $89,221 Australian dollars (£46,721) with minimum salaries increasing from A$40,000 (£20,946) to A$46,600 (£24,402) over the term of the contract.

"The operating model for netball has changed for the better, particularly at a time when there is competition for talented female athletes, many of whom come through the netball ranks," said Harby-Williams.

"Netball is now a sport which incentivises players and administrators alike to grow the game for the benefit of all who love and invest in it."

NA interim CEO Stacey West added the deal, which was agreed in principle earlier this month, will "set up netball for future success" and "ensure financial stability" for the sport.

Anpa president and Diamonds player Jo Weston said on X: "I would just like to thank the netball community plus many more for their support over the last few weeks. An exciting result for our playing group after a really difficult period! See you around the netball court in 2024."

Australia's Super Netball League is considered to be the best in the world with England players Helen Housby and Eleanor Cardwell playing in the eight-team league.

Teams were unable to contract their players for the 2024 season with the dispute ongoing but the signing window has now opened and will close on 19 December.

Players have been trying to make a deal on pay with NA, who oversee salaries in the league, since February and the governing body has come under criticism for its handling of the situation.

NA had said that any form of revenue share was not viable but, under the new deal, players will receive 20% of revenue above an agreed sponsorship forecast.

Harby-Williams said some players had "slept in their cars" because of the hardship caused by the dispute, which began in February.

Former Australia captain Liz Ellis said NA had treated the players with "callous disregard" after they were threatened with legal action if they did not attend an awards dinner in November.

The Diamonds, who won the World Cup in Cape Town in August, said they planned to boycott the awards ceremony with the pay dispute still ongoing, but NA said it would take legal action if they did not attend.

The pay dispute also came after mining company Hancock Prospecting pulled a sponsorship deal with NA worth A$15m ($9.92m, £7.85m) last year.

It followed Donell Wallam, the Australia squad's only Aboriginal player, privately raising concerns about the company's Indigenous record.

Tourism company Visit Victoria stepped in as sponsor, replacing the lost funds, but NA announced earlier this year it is A$4.2m in debt, having been unable to fully recover from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Melbourne-based club Collingwood Magpies also withdrew from the Super Netball League at the end of the season, citing NA's financial plight as a major reason behind the decision. The Melbourne Mavericks, coached by former England coach Tracey Neville, subsequently replaced the Magpies.

Read Entire Article