ARTICLE AD BOX
Matt O'Riley has been outstanding for Celtic since signing from MK Dons two years agoManager Brendan Rodgers has confirmed Celtic rejected an offer from Atletico Madrid for Matt O'Riley and says the midfielder will not be sold this month.
The Denmark international joined two years ago for £1.5m and agreed a new deal in September that runs until 2027.
The 23-year-old has scored 10 goals and provided as many assists this season.
"There was [an offer] but Matt is a player we don't want to lose and he won't be going anywhere in January," Rodgers said.
"It's a great testament to him and what the club can do for a player. He won his first international cap this season and Atletico Madrid are a big club in European football.
"But he is very much part of what we are doing. He has been a joy to work with and I had a good chat with Matt on Thursday morning and he is someone who will be here for us in the second part of the season."
Rodgers said last week he was "not aware of interest" being shown in O'Riley and that Celtic had "no thoughts of selling" a player they bought for a fee believed to be £1.5m.
The Celtic boss added then that the midfielder "is really, really happy" at the Scottish Premiership leaders and that he is relishing the opportunity to keep improving in Glasgow.
More to follow.
- Visit our Celtic page for all the latest news, analysis and fan views
- You can now get Celtic news notifications in the BBC Sport app - find out more

- Our coverage of Celtic is bigger and better than ever before - here's everything you need to know to make sure you never miss a moment
- Everything Celtic - go straight to all the best content

2 years ago
45








English (US) ·